Despite the economic recession, travelers still seek the East for leisure and business travel. Asia saw a 4% increase in prices paid per room, per night last year when compared to 2009.
China continues to attract travelers with a majority of their cities seeing substantial increases year-over-year along with Malaysia (+17%), Singapore (+33%), Indonesia (+13%) and South Korea (+10%).
Tokyo and Hong Kong rank 8th and 9th as the most visited cities by Americans in 2010 while Shanghai moved up from 37th place in 2009 to the 20th most visited city last year.
- Tucked away in French Polynesia, Bora Bora attracts travelers looking to truly indulge in life’s luxuries at a significant price tag. Rooms paid last year averaged almost $606 per night, an 18% increase from 2009.
- Arue, another island in French Polynesia, saw prices drop 22% year-over-year. Rooms in this region averaged almost $167 per night – a $439 difference when compared to Bora Bora.
- Rooms in this region averaged almost $167 per night – a $439 difference when compared to Bora Bora.
- Undiscovered by most Americans as a great value destination, Hoi An, Vietnam offered rooms during 2010 for $67 per night. While other popular cities in this country such as Hue, Hanoi, and Ho Chi Minh, saw decreases year-over-year, Hoi An saw an increase of 7% of prices paid, per room, per night.
- Bali, Indonesia, where the book and movie Eat, Pray, Love, takes place, saw prices rise 35% where rooms almost averaged $188 during 2010. While 5 star rooms in this spiritual city may cost you almost $341 a night, travelers can grab 3 to 4 star hotel rooms for $150 or less.
- Major business cities in China such as Tung Chung, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, and Shanghai saw over 20% increase year-over-year in rooms paid, per night. On the other hand, Beijing remained relatively flat with only a 1% increase year-over-year while an up and coming city like Singapore saw room prices increase by 33%.
- For a five-star hotel experience, Tokyo offers rooms on average for $557 a night while in Bangkok you can snag a room for $190 a night.
Top 10 Most Expensive Cities in Asia
Top 10 Cities for Best Value (Least Expensive)